About Me

My photo
I am a new traveling fool. I've been a corporate travel junkie for one too many sales quarters and am ready to spend my hard earned cash... I'm taking a "sabbatical" for a while and hitting the road to travel. The trip should take me to six out of the seven continents if I don't run out of cash early.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

the first of many "lasts"

I just had lunch with Christian and it was the "last" time I'll see him until I return. Saying goodbye has been a weird experience so far. I feel like I'm in denial, as if I'm going on a vacation but I'll be back sooner than a year.

Lunch was awesome, he bought! What a gentleman! Anyway, we were talking about both of our separate futures. Topics circled around what would change while I'm gone, where I'll be in a year and where he thinks he'll be in a year.

Christian was my first "bro" when I got to San Francisco. Every guy needs a go-to wing-man on their home turf and when I got to San Francisco I was lucky to be put on his kickball team. The funny part of this "wing man" thing is that we're both in very stable & lengthly relationships right now. Looks like we didn't let each other down?

So, back to the "lasts." I'm headed to Boston this weekend to see my brother, sister-in-law niece & nephew for the "last" time until I return. Things are starting to feel very final and I'm still in a daze of acceptance and denial.

Thankfully I've been able to put a lot of things in order. Here is a little list of the things that have been keeping me busy in my free time as I prep for this trip.

  1. Visas: India (check), Australia (check), Vietnam (pending), Bali (get at airport), New Zealand (get at airport), Thailand (get at airport), S. Africa (pending)... the list goes ON and ON
  2. Immunizations & drugs: I've gotten six shots, malaria pills, altitude pills, stomach sensitivity (think india) pills, antibiotics & pain meds
  3. Packing list: I needed a LOT of stuff for this trip. Some of the things that I've enjoyed looking into are; mosquito netting, DEET products, sun hats (stylish yet practical), sleeping bag liner (we're in summer the whole way so we don't need a sleeping bag), DSLR camera, new 18-200mm lens for DSLR, 11" macbook air (yup, I dove RIGHT in), pacsafe stuff (exomesh stuff! + travel safe) AND cool undies!
  4. MOVING! Ahhh! I leave in 14 days and I have to get EVERYTHING out of my apartment. It reminds me of when I came out here from Boston about 18 months ago. Wow, packing is the WORST!
  5. Having many "lasts." That includes friends, coworkers and yup even family... I guess its either convenient or more stressful that all of this stuff is happening on top of Christmas.
OH! I wanted to give everyone my new phone number: 415-347-5863

The deal is that # is hooked up to my google voice account. When you text or call it the folks down at Google will forward your calls or texts onto whatever phone number you want. I signed up for a Skype phone number that will be called by google when you call the number above. Basically this gives you all an easy way to call me while I'm traveling. I'm hoping for late night texts, picture texts and if I'm lucky drunken dialing galore with lots of juicy gossip!

If those past three don't suit you, I guess we could have a regular conversation as well. I'll just need to get my iPod Touch to a wifi area to accept the call.

ALSO, I can facetime with people! So if you have a mac computer, 4th generation ipod touch or the newest iphone we can talk for FREE while I'm traveling.

More information on facetime is here: http://www.apple.com/mac/facetime/

Thats all for now, more to follow later...





No comments:

Post a Comment