About Me

My photo
I am a new traveling fool. I've been a corporate travel junkie for one too many sales quarters and am ready to spend my hard earned cash... I'm taking a "sabbatical" for a while and hitting the road to travel. The trip should take me to six out of the seven continents if I don't run out of cash early.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

French Jets over Libya

I find myself fascinated by the fact that French jets are soaring over Libya right now and I'm sitting in one of their most prized lost colonies... I can see some of the huge impacts, both good and bad, the french had on Vietnam. My thoughts however center around how much these people were resolved to resolve their internal conflicts on their own... Priority number one was self governance. Key word "self."

I'm torn as to what is the right or wrong move in Libya but can't help but lean away from any type of bombing. Where I stood today they found unexploded American bombs from 40 years ago just a few short months ago. Casualties from that war still pop up!! The damage to this country from such a dominant air campaign is massive.

I can't help but be frustrated with the amount I hear, "here is XXXX that the American bombs destroyed..." over and over and over I hear this. It's not that I'm seeking these places out. We actually stick to old ruin & cultural sights. The plain truth is that most of these were at least partially destroyed from the war. We're talking temples that are three times as old as my whole countries history!!

Maybe my guilt is misplaced. Maybe its not mine to carry My impressions of how to be a force of good in the world are shifting. It seems Greg Mortenson is ahead of his time...

No comments:

Post a Comment