About Me

My photo
I am a new traveling fool. I've been a corporate travel junkie for one too many sales quarters and am ready to spend my hard earned cash... I'm taking a "sabbatical" for a while and hitting the road to travel. The trip should take me to six out of the seven continents if I don't run out of cash early.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Southern France


After departing Paris we joined up with my former boss, Bill, down in Le Bar Sur Loup.  Bill and his wife Paule were kind enough to let us stay at their vacation rental for five nights in a small town about an hour north east of Nice, France.  I was eager to spend some time with an old friend and mentor but also equally excited to spend time in the French countryside with people who truly know the language and culture.  Paule is 100% French but has also lived in Montreal and the USA.  Paul and I kept talking about how we had our typical touristy vacation in Paris and now we’re having more of an authentic experience.

We didn’t know until we finally arrived in Le Bar Sur Loup that two of Paule and Bills good friends from Arizona were taking a week vacation in the same region.  John & Brenda Steinsky live part of the year in Nova Scotia and the other part in Phoenix.  We were lucky to have another generous family welcome us to a part of the world they love so much. 

If we were looking for an authentic French experience, we GOT it!  Paule cooked for us and filled us with Frois Gras, every type of French cheese imaginable, baguette, jambon, Rose wine by the case and every other French delicacy we could have imagined.  Looking back on that week I cannot believe how well we ate.  Of all of the cuisines I enjoyed this past year I’d put French at the top of the list.  The funny thing is I wouldn’t have experienced it in France unless I spent time with Paule and Bill!

We took the opportunity to take a few days to relax.  We didn’t even get to the beach!  Of all of the beaches in the world I want to revisit the French Mediterranean is also #1.  Can you see where I’m going with this? Southern France was the best food and beaches? Am I biased yet?  One of the best things we did in Bar Sur Loup was go go-karting!  Yup, we went to the largest go-kart track in all of Europe.  Paul and I thought we’d look it up and John chimed in that he’d love to go.  It didn’t take much convincing for Bill to join in and before we knew it we headed out for a guys day while Paule and Brenda did some shopping and purfumerie touring.

This track was no ordinary track.  We realized our lives were slightly in danger when we showed up.  The racers who were training on the track were SPONSORED!  Yup, sponsored go-kart racers!  Hilarous.  We waited our turns and John translated we didn’t want to race while the sponsored hell-bat French drivers were on the track.  This (like anything else we conveyed in broken French) seemed to piss off the track owner.  Finally we got on the track and the four of us were racing on top of a mountain with views of the Mediterranean! The location we found on top of the mountain was literally a guys paradise!  There were paintballing places, go-karts and race bikes all in one location!  I think I know where I’d like to have my bachelor party if I’m ever a millionaire.

I’ll definitely find my way back to southern France in the future. I’m clearly hooked. 


Bill and Paule rented out a room in this castle!


Zach Delaney


Italian Coast


Italian Gelato


Outside of Monaco


John and Brenda


The Delaney Family (this is outside the front door of the apartment)




Go-Kart Racing!


Candy Shop!


Bill and myself on top of a mountain!



No comments:

Post a Comment