About Me

My photo
I am a new traveling fool. I've been a corporate travel junkie for one too many sales quarters and am ready to spend my hard earned cash... I'm taking a "sabbatical" for a while and hitting the road to travel. The trip should take me to six out of the seven continents if I don't run out of cash early.

Friday, November 12, 2010

New Toys for Trip




What's a guy to do on a perfectly beautiful Friday afternoon in mid November in San Francisco? Well this guy went shopping for what I'm hoping is going to be the most important thing I bring along on my trip. Yup, you guessed it. My brand spanking new camera.

I dolled out a whopping $849 for a brand new Nikon D3100. What brought me down the road to the Nikon over the Canon? I'll be honest my heart was pulled toward the Nikon since I owned an old SLR from my photo class days at BHS. On the other side I've enjoyed playing with Betsy's Canon DSLR. In the classic Ford vs. Chevy debate I wasn't sure what to do!? The guy at the camera shop told me to take some pictures with each one and see what "felt best." In the end the Nikon was lighter so I opted for a "lighter DSLR." Whatever that means!

I know is this baby gives me 14.2 megapixels of amazingness. I also picked up a second lens. So I have an 18-55mm VR and also a 55-200mm. Hopefully these will get me through my journey with some pictures I can share with my grand children when I get back.

Its funny but I was reading in a travel book about "coming home" and under this section of the book it explicitly says to plan a return party so you can catch up with family and friends. Here's the nugget of gold, "Some travelers have a party with a data projector flashing through their photos in the background - just don't turn it into a slid-show night, because no-one will be as interested as you are in your photos." I LOVE this idea. It cracks me up b/c when I think about "the most important thing" I've been wanting for the trip its really just for me. I guess thats indicative for what this trip is, "its just for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment